Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I wandered lonely as a cloud- William Wordsworth

Prior to this class, I have always heard about this poem and William Wordsworth but have never really looked into it. Overall, I think the poem is pretty simple and easy to get through, while still giving the reader some pleasant scenery and nice imagery. I always find it fascinating when writers draw similarities between nature and humans through the personification of nature. This poem reminded me somewhat of Henry David Thoreau's Walden, which I read in a previous class. The author seems to be transcending his normal self in order to be more in tune with nature. The line "Which is the bliss of solitude" reminded me of a line from Walden, " I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude". Although the writers of both pieces are "alone", through their solitude, they are able to be fully in touch with their mind, and able to experience the greatness of the natural world. 
In terms of word choice, I liked that Wordsworth chose daffodils for the flowers in which he found. Daffodils are yellow and to me, imply some sort of joyousness and peace, whereas I think another flower wouldn't necessarily work for the poem. For example, a rose to me seems guarded and given it's shape, it can't move as freely in the wind as a daffodil. A violet or lavender seem too sullen and relaxed for this type of poem.
The title is interesting as well in that the first line of the poem is used for the title. To me, "I wandered lonely as a cloud" seems a little depressing while overall I think the tone of the poem is more happy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment